Thursday, April 7, 2016

Dream of Bhutan #4: Buddha's Water Bowl

The dream was long, but the most important part of the journey was captured upon its closing. 

I had just descended from the mountain side at Taktsang Monastery. There at the foot of the mountain there was an open altar, without walls, temples or coverings that one might see enshrining holy objects. There sat Buddha's water bowl in shiny metal. Instead of 7 bowls, there was one great bowl. 

I was eating a candy and then the wind blew the wrapper into the water within the bowl. I was mortified and I scooped out the rubbish, but then notice there is more rubbish in the bowl from other pedestrians. There I see the guide who lead me on the excursion: Tsewang. It bothered me to see other people's trash so I voiced it to him. "People need to clean up after themselves, but now they are long gone."

He responds resolutely, "It is fine to police others about their behavior, especially if it falls short of respect, but may I also police you?" I was stunned. My heart was humble, and eager to learn what he had to say, so I respond, "Yes, of course. I appreciate every opportunity to refine myself."

"Very well," he replies. I sense that Tsewang was a dream version of the real man that embodied the spirit of Buddha himself with his energy. "It is true that you cleared your own waste, and it is also true that waste still remains from others. I ask you this: Is the water clean or does it remain dirty?"


He saw the look on my face and that I understood the obvious. He gently urged, "Those who see the transgression must choose to allow it, or correct it. The responsibility falls upon the seer."

I bowed and accepted this important message. I awakened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment